stupid google -->

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Android Musings Lovely June and the start of a hopefully longer Journey

Hi ya,


I have been blogging more like very slow micro tagging actually =)


But I am going a little bit into Android these days. Armed with an (now) old Galaxy Nexus... I think.


Anyways I am going to list down the problems I had while getting the system up ;)


Anyways my profile is this:

I start and stop Android development so many times now.

Mostly it was a lack of commitment (time, energy).

And partly it was due to a lack of steeled determination!!

At least thats what I realised.


For instance, I recently start again (duh!) in April actually.

I downloaded the Eclispe (I think the last time I tried was 2011, I vaguely remember there were attempts in 2000+ and possibly the 90s.... I was around during the One Child one Laptop thingie... so my futile and feeble attempts have been weak and many =) ... I understand that does not give much hope. But babies and loves, FAITH is believing in that which is UNSEEN!! in this case its any smidget of chance that I have the fortitude to pull this through. But we'll see I guess =))

And that was that. I updated it, got the avd up and was sufficiently happy that I have contributed to humanity or at least there was less of a lack of, no matter how ludicrous the thought was. The wonders of the human mind! Well. I believe GREAT minds think alike an so here we are wallowing in self pity together!! No wait. Back on topic!

So thats was a failing in my strength of character ;)

But I am sufficiently annoyed recently!!! Do not annoy a GIANT! even a little one! Giant is relative!! No laughing! Or sniggling! Anyways. I was motivated enough by my lack of stuff and abundance of chaff that I decided to look at it again.

And then I got hit by strange bugs. Even though this time I did not write any code??? I was just running and configuring the stuff (and my it has improved alot... just setting up Eclipse used to give me headaches in the past, yes yes I have a weak mind) . I used to get errors because I would set up the tools and everything, THEN look for sample code to modify, so there was PLENTY of room for errors! But this time, it was all horse led to water, I was ready to drink. But lo and behold! A bug! And after following instructions to a Tee. I was flabbergasted, lost and alone. Well no I was distracted surfing the web and stuff. So the bug dialog popping up was ignored and retried. Many. Many. Times. Until I noticed it was the same bug. Oh the time wasted. It was like edge of tomorrow. I could have killed myself but could'nt and would'nt. I mean I don't have the alien blood in me like Tom Cruise and all.

Anyways, so I gave up finding fault in my ability to follow instructions and ask the very knowledgeble Mr Google. You know him too! The multicoloured guy! Who keeps changing his pics with the holidays!.... oki.

Anyways Google presented that it was due to old certs generated by my previus installations.

My search was "android eclipse error generating final archive"

Specifically this gave the answer

The solution?

Delete the file:
debug.keystore

Mine was a win7 so it was in this directory:

C:\Users\YOUWISHIPLACEDMYNAMEHEREDUNCHA\.android.


Remember I started and stopped a few times? Ya. Like Cloud Atlas huh, every damned thing is linked. Its cold no?



So I managed to run the App on the emulator, which took a long time to load. I guess I need to close my windows more...

Anyways, again I was sufficiently happy. Until now. When I tried to run on my phone. (That old galaxy nexus)

It can detect my usb storage but Thats all.

To run it you need to download the USB drivers from Samsung here

My search on Google was this:
"eclipse cannot detect my galaxy nexus as active device"

I actually hopped around on the Samsung page for a while before I reached that page i linked above.

Its about a 20 MB download. I hope it works =)

Again why I am posting? I figured it would give me some motivation and track my trials and tribulations ;P And besides GREAT minds think alike, so someone is likely to go through the same shit. So here I am. Saving the world. One moper at a time =)

Happy Coding!


[20140608 14:42]
So after downloading it still does'nt work. This is after restarting Eclipse.






I suspect i need to reboot.

[20140608 18:12]


See. many hours have passed. And I have rebooted!!! And it works!



I also figured out how to take screenshots. (my keywords were: "android how to screenshot")


 If you are using a Nexus S and above and have kept your device updated:

Pressing the power button and volume down button should work. (For IPhone users, its holding down the menu button [there is only one button... and I callz it the menu button so there] and the power button at the same time)

What you should note is that if you are sharing out your USB storage to your PC (i.e. you can see the drive in your PC), your Android device (in this case my Nexus S) will not be able to access the USB storage.

In my case I was happily snapping and snapping screenshots not realising that none of the pictures were stored! Silly me.

Anyways there reason I wanted to take a screenshot was that aside from installing the Samsung USB drivers as well as having windows update detect and download drivers for Nexus S (it actually recognised my phone model! So cool!); is that I also enabled USB debugging. I am not actually sure if that was crucial =)


Anyways this is a screenshot of that option:



And the example App I was installing from my PC




And actually launching and running it!




Also even if you do not share out the USB storage (i.e. you do not see the Android device USB storage as a drive on your PC). Eclipse is able to launch the App. =) Which is nice to know.










It does not do anything, but its Hello World!!! W00t!

[20140610 01:08]


So a work day usually means I get about 3 hours to get anything done :(


So this is what I have so far:





















yep, its a lobster. And the button and text field elements were done yesterday. So I have really only added the action bar :/

The portion of the tutorial now is on action bars, so it requires more icons. If you read carefully (unlike me), you would have noticed that they allow you to download the full suite of icons. So you just need to download and place the files in the res folder. ... I skimped over that part and thought I had to draw my own icons. Thats how the lobster came about.

I did actually read a bit, albeit in parts. So the recommended image type was svg. So there was a bout of downloading and installing GIMP and Inkscape to generate a .svg file. It was cool. Even though it was a bit of a bloody waste of time, but I did get a nice lobster.

Why a lobster? Actually I just wanted a base 48 by 48 pixel image. I randomly drew an it looked like a lobster. Voila! Anyways somewhere while figuring what to do with my newly minted lobster image, I came to terms with the fact that the icons were available for download. Le sigh.

Anyways at least I got the thing up. It appears that the tutorial was a little half hearted. It does'nt seem to be headed to an app, just random examples of code which show parts of the App life cycle. I am going to have to improvise I guess =) like a lobster!

Happy Coding and may you read everything carefully!


[20140611 00:03]


no updates today :(  I took half day and was hoping to do something but got hit by a bout of food poisoning. My eyelids got swollen and my stomach was having the runs (excuses I know =))

Any ways I was a little disapponted with the progress yesterday as, the Action Bar was'nt alot and whats more, I could'nt see the "Settings" button... So today i did a bit of a search on google and lo and behold. I was looking for an overflow button (which I though was an image, that was what i thought I was seeing in the example). But apparently for Samsung phones, the physical menu button is the "overflow" button =D

And there it is! My non functional "Settings" button




















May you not be as blur as me =)

Hopefully I have more to brag about having done tomorrow =)


[20140825 00:33]


Alas I appear to have a very bad of giving up on my life and stuff.


This ailment has gotta be addressed!

Strongly! and fervently!!!


RAWWWWR!


Like Tabby the cat!



Anyways.


I seem to have a 2 mth problem here. I started in April. Sputttered and got back in June. And sputtered and now its August!!!


I really want to stop sputtering through life lol.


Anyways. The good thing about a "live" blogging post is that I get to track how pathetic my progress is. It is also disconcerting that this thingie is public and all. But actually I can see how many people read this and I can safely tell myself that I am alone in here and my embarassment (if any? Oh the hubris!) is all for me to enjoy!


How wonderful.


So at least I am back now I guess. The good thing is that I can review it as a journal of sorts and retrack and redefine by steps. Always useful. Anyways I will continue to post and update any wondrous doo doos I discover. Unless I backslide again (oh how we love to do that don't we ;))


See ya.


[20140825 01:07]

So just for tracking I am now trying to add an action bar!

[20140825 01:09]

Oh wait I seem to have already dunnit.

dang.

Back to searching where I stopped the last time....


[20140825 01:15]


Okay... I believe i am at action buttons......

[20140825 01:16]

dammit.... wrong again... apparently I must have covered quite a bit the last time....

[20140825 01:41]


So now i know i am at the responding to Action buttons portion!

... that took awhile  ... anyways I gotta snooze.


I figure I really do not know the framework well enough. So in the morning and free times I will read up on those and hopefully when I get to code when I get back home, I can understand the code better!



[20140914 20:30]

YOWZA!!!



Its been two weeks since I coded anything!!!! The only bright spark here is that the sputtering is two weeks instead of two month.


Hey don't knock the small wins :p


LOL




Anyways I gotta get a grip on myself. I need to read faster and harder.


I went to the library today. I am feeling pumped. It might have been the Mac Spicy. nvm.




Anyways.

Here I go!


[20141214 11:04]



!!!!!!!!! it is exactly... well not exunctly but you know... the numbers for the months shifted by three and it is the fourteen!! So.


3 mth. That must be some kind of record... no wait my record for slacking off and coming back is in years lol.


Anyways... back to the grind for a bit I guess... and hopefully this time I get more than a button!!!!


[20150705 21:19]

OMG.


I have done nothing all this time.

Time Time, effervescent as you are, I wished I cherished you more.


I will try to do so before my time is done and my strength is no more and youth shall fail me.



That was dramatic.


Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger magenpie said...

heyyyy keep going jiayou!!!!!

1:42 PM  
Blogger god_is_good478 said...

Thanks buddy ;)


Oh and I realised your locked files thingie was not mentioned in my blog post. Mine was old keystore file :p

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->
Clear | Activate AJAX Google Search | |
Firefox 2
Support Wikipedia